Types of Tax Registration in Ireland

It is important to pay taxes in Ireland, but how to do so? There are several options available to you. These include eRegistration, VAT, PRSI, and Service tax. Here’s a look at what each one entails. You can choose to pay a single tax or multiple taxes. Either option is suitable for you. Listed below are the main differences between them. To learn more about the different types of tax registration in Ireland, continue reading.


If you are in business in Ireland, you may be familiar with eRegistration for tax registration. In Ireland, you must register with the Revenue Office by 5 October in the second tax year. Registering late will result in a fine. To register online, you must have a business tax account. To do this, you will need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have either, you can create one. Once you’ve registered, you will receive your Unique Taxpayer Reference number (UTR) within ten days.

The eRegistration system is an online registration service. Revenue has consulted with users to make it easier for agents and customers to use. The system allows users to register tax head details, cancel them, and manage their client relationships online. You can see eRegistration videos that explain the main features and functionality of the system. You can also see how to add and remove client links. The eRegistration videos also demonstrate how to use eRegistration to manage client relationships.

If you are a sole trader, you can register online through the Revenue Online Service. The Revenue Online Service allows you to register, cancel, and re-register your business. However, not everyone can use eRegistration. Non-resident directors, such as partnerships, must complete a TR1 form and mail it to the Revenue office in their county. To apply for eRegistration, visit the Revenue website or go to your local Revenue office.

Service tax

There are many steps involved in the Service Tax registration process. You will need to provide a few basic information and complete the application form before you can get your registration certificate. You can also contact the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs for more information. They can also assist you in completing the application process. The process is simple, and will only take a few minutes. The registration certificate is issued by the Departmental Officer within a few working days.

After completing the form, you will be redirected to an acknowledgement page. You will then see your Registration Number. The Registration Number contains twelve characters, with the first two characters indicating the type of registration you are looking for. The last character, ‘acknowledgement number’, will be a part of your Service Tax Registration Number. You should include this number on all your invoices, as you will need it to file returns on time.

When registering with the Revenue, you’ll need to file a VAT return every two months. This form is used to report the amount of VAT that you charge to your customers. The Revenue will send you a VAT3 form that you must complete and return by a specified date. In most cases, you’ll need to complete and return the form on the 19th day of the taxable month. If you use an electronic version, you must file your return by the 23rd day of the taxable month.


If you are a foreign company wishing to trade in Ireland, you will need to register for VAT. You can do this by submitting a TR1(FT) registration form. There are also forms for corporate bodies that need to be submitted. If your business is over EUR75,000 in annual turnover, or supplies more than 90 percent of its goods and services to Irish customers, you will need to register for VAT. There are certain exceptions to this rule, so make sure you check them out before you begin your journey to registration.

As a legal business entity operating in Ireland, you are required to collect VAT. This tax is added to the value of your products and services during the different stages of production and distribution. Governments use VAT to turn companies into unpaid tax collectors. Companies that register for VAT in Ireland are able to claim VAT credit from the Irish Revenue. However, the final consumer cannot claim the VAT credit. In the case of the UK, you may want to consider hiring a tax accounting service.

While VAT registration in Ireland is supervised by the Irish Revenue, companies and natural persons can register for VAT in Ireland through Revenue’s Online Services portal. To register for VAT in Ireland, interested parties must fill out specialized forms. The forms are different depending on the legal status of the interested party. Natural persons must complete the TR1 registration form while corporate entities need the TR2 form. These forms vary slightly but are still necessary for registration. If you have a legal entity in Ireland, you should submit a TR1 form.


You will need to register for your PRSI tax registration in Ireland if you own a business, employ employees, or pay a PRSI tax on their pay. If you are self-employed, you should register for PRSI if you are a sole trader or partner. You can register under different tax headings, such as ‘Register Additional’, if you are a company director.

In addition to PRSI tax registration in Ireland, you will also need to pay PRSI contributions if you are self-employed and aged between 16 and 66. This contribution is calculated based on 4% of your total reckonable income, with a minimum contribution of 500 euros per year. In addition to self-employment, you must also pay PRSI on your investment income. The rate of contribution is the same as that of employees and self-employed.

If you are self-employed, you must register for PRSI tax in Ireland if you are earning over EUR38 per week. This means that you must register for the PRSI tax. This will help you avoid paying too much in PRSI tax, which can add up to a significant amount. If you are self-employed, you may want to register for PRSI in Ireland to make sure you have the right amount to pay.

Sole trader

While there is no legal requirement for sole traders to register as a business, they must register with HMRC as self-employed. Self-employed individuals must report income tax to HMRC, which is a separate entity from their own. In order to do this, you must get your own Unique Taxpayer Reference, which the government uses to identify taxpayers and businesses. In Ireland, you must also register your business name and address, as well as pay tax.

When you are planning to start a business, you must register with the Revenue and pay the appropriate taxes. You can either register your business name online or fill out a paper form. In the case of the latter, you should use the RBN1 form, which is for individual business owners. You should seek legal advice before registering your business name with the Revenue, as it must be accurate. You should consider consulting a lawyer in Ireland if you have any questions regarding the procedure.

While a limited company registration will protect your interests in a complex legal system, it can be a burden to register as a sole trader. In addition, you will be personally liable for all your business debts. If you need to register as a sole trader, you can hire an accountant to prepare your tax returns. If you want to start a small business and don’t want to pay a lot of taxes, you may find that sole trader tax registration in Ireland is your best option.

Centralized registration

Regardless of your business type, you must register for centralized tax registration in Ireland if you plan to sell goods and services. While it is possible to file your return with your local municipality, many businesses opt to file their tax returns with the Department of Tax. The Department of Tax will handle all the administrative functions associated with centrally filed returns, including distributing payments to the appropriate municipalities. It will also handle audits and appeals, if any.


When you are looking to register for tax registration in Ireland, you may be wondering how to go about the process of self-assessment. The basic principles of self-assessment are laid out in this article. In addition to the principles of tax registration in Ireland, you’ll also learn about the corporation tax and capital gains taxes. Read on to learn how to file your own tax return and how to save money in the process.

Unlike the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system, you will have to file a self-assessment tax return to the HMRC. This system differs from the PAYE system, which automatically deducts taxes from employee salaries. As a self-employed individual, you generally get paid throughout the year. You don’t automatically receive tax deductions or National Insurance contributions.

When filing your tax returns, you can do it manually or using an online service. In the case of the latter, you’ll need to use the Revenue Online Service or the Revenue Interactive Service, which calculates your self-assessment for you. You can also opt for the manual process of self-assessment if you don’t have any of the above-mentioned methods. Self-assessment is important because it keeps the government informed of any changes in your income, expenses, or expenses. The tax authorities expect you to pay your taxes on time.

This article is intended to inform rather than advise and is based on legislation and practice at the time. Taxpayer’s circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Table of Contents

About Us

Ireland Accountant is a Chartered Accounting firm in Ireland providing company formation, tax and accounting services.

Follow Us